Rev Dr Richard Chung
January 18, 2019
The Follow up Gathering to the Loneliness and Social Isolation Forum we held last fall took place at Knox on January 19, 2019, 9 to 12 noon in it’s Fellowship Hall. This gathering was not an open and educational forum, but a working group gathering.
For Networking & Partnership, Exchange of Project Plans/Ideas (that are already in place and ideas only), Strategy group action plans & to share resources (funding, volunteer, and spaces).
• Welcome & Review of 5 Breakout Groups from last meeting: (10 min)
Caregivers (of dementia and other mental patients), New Canadians & English Language Learner, Homeless & Poor, Seniors, Young Adults (Students & Workers)
• Group Presentations (60 min) (15 min presentation for each presenter followed by 5 min large group digestion)
• Amie Peacock (Beyond Conversation): overview of her work with English Language Learner/Recent Immigrant, Seniors and Young Adults.
• Susan Burns (Westside Neighborhood Hub): overview of her work with caregivers (of dementia and other mental patients) and current resources (tool kits) for caregivers.
• Angelo Moroni from S.I.T.E. Theatre group: on exploration and findings from “a:part – Breaking Social Isolation” performance, and ways for (the role of) the arts community and artists (both performing/visual) to help address and reduce isolation/loneliness issue in the community.
• Small Group Table Discussion (60 min)
The participants will be broken into 3 table groups, facilitated by 3 presenters to network, share ideas, strategy action steps for each particular community group.
• Brief introduction (participants introduce name, what group you belong to – and one sentence why you chose this group, and one sentence what you expect from the group)
• Group Facilitator time:
What tangible action step (strategy) can each participant do (join, further group meetings, project ideas, etc.)
• Network: exchange contacts with the rest of group.
• Each table group briefly share their group decisions with the large group (15 min)
• Wrap Up:
How do we want to continue as a large group: Do we want to come together once every few months for group support and further networking – and a group project for the wider community — or do we want to disband the large group?