It is well documented that art and creating can help with stress. If you are dealing with stress or tension right now, River & Pine Expressive Arts Therapy has offered the Garden Shed Meditation and accompanying drawing activity below to help combat these feelings from the comfort of your own home.
Before we dive into this though here are some scientific facts about stress and how art can help.
- During creation your brain is active in different places. The areas that you use to create are based in places in your brain that also involve problem solving and flexibly.
- Creating fosters self awareness and confidence through play, experimentation, imagination and safety.
- Studies have shown that creating reduces cortisol – cortisol is the stress hormone.
- Drawing has been shown to increase dopamine which is a neurotransmitter that often is low in those with anxiety, depression, and high levels of stress
Another thing to note before starting the visualization and drawing activity is that it is always important to listen to yourself – you know yourself best. If you feel that you want or need to adapt a part of this to better suit you and your needs, please do so. If after, or during, the visualization or drawing you feel that you may need extra support, please reach out to a trusted family member or friend or one of the resources listed below.
These offerings are not intended to replace or act as a substitute of traditional one on one or group therapy or medical advice.
A free-of-charge provincial health information and advice phone line available in British Columbia. Speak to a health service navigator, who can help you get the information you need to manage your health concerns, or those of your family.
Or call 1-800-555-8222 (toll-free in BC)
for Canadian Mental Health Association, BC Division
The Ministry of Mental Health and Addictions Website
The Canadian Mental Health Association Website
Garden Shed Meditation & Drawing Activity
What You Will Need
To listen to the recorded meditation just click the play bar below and ensure your speakers are at an appropriate volume. Before listening, please have available to you:
– Drawing Tools such as crayons, felts, pencils, or oil pastels.
– You may want a blanket for your lap, to light a candle or have a glass of water close to you.
Please feel free to reach out and let us know about your experience doing this meditation and activity! What you create is for your eyes only but we’d love to hear about your experience if you would like to share.
KnoxVan supports and encourages others to SUPPORT ARTISTS as they find new ways to share their talents and skills
– click on the link DONATE
5590 Balaclava Street
V6N 1L1 Canada