Social Isolation is a major challenge for residents of the City of Vancouver. Knox United Church positions itself as a sanctuary for the isolated and lonely in our neighbourhood by engaging our neighbours through the Arts. Over the next 2 years, Knox will be involved in a development project on (and adjacent to) our property, resulting in a new community centre dedicated to the Arts and neighbourhood programs, as well as many new neighbours.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Knox seeks an Office Manager based out of Vancouver, BC. This is a new role, requiring someone committed to building collaborative relationships among leaders, congregants, volunteers, and neighbours. Reporting to the Board, you’ll have oversight of Knox’s administration and operations: communications, rentals, events, facilities, finance, and staff management. As Knox embarks on a period of organizational transformation, this role needs someone who thrives in structure and ambiguity, who builds clarity and efficiency, and who inspires others by communicating positively about change. You don’t have to be religious or even spiritual for this role, but must believe strongly in Knox’s vision of a neighbourhood without loneliness.
This is a permanent part-time role of 25 hours per week. The schedule is generally flexible — you may work from home or office based on the day’s needs. It’s a great role if you want steady hours and work life balance. We can offer a market-competitive salary, around $30 / hour based on experience, and a modest benefits package.
TO APPLY: Please forward your resume and cover letter or any inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
· Is a non-voting member of the governing Board: attends meetings and is involved in planning and strategy-building.
· Holds the role of Secretary: books meetings, prepares agendas, etc. Communicates decisions / updates to others and follows up on action items.
· Provides reports, updates, and recommendations to the Board. Helps develop and update policies, procedures, rates, and systems.
· Is a non-voting member of the Knox Finance Team: attends meetings, and helps draft and monitor the annual operating budget.
· With the Treasurer, coordinates and prepares financial data for the Bookkeeper, performs some bookkeeping and banking tasks, and oversees the annual review engagement process.
· Ensures smooth and efficient operations, liaising with staff, contractors, renters, maintenance people, volunteers, and congregants.
o During construction: Attends Building Committee meetings to support the timely flow of related information and movement of funds. Works with the Board to establish a business plan for the new facility and oversees relocation into the new facility when complete.
OPS & ADMIN:
· Oversees the employment cycle, supervises admin and operations staff, and with the Minister, leads regular staff meetings. Recruits and trains volunteers as needed, and initiates volunteer engagement opportunities.
· Identifies solutions that support and enhance communications and operations. Recommends metrics and key performance indicators to help drive decisions at all levels.
· With only a small team of employees, you’ll perform hands-on tasks as needed.
EDUCATION / WORK EXPERIENCE
· A degree or diploma and 5+ years of experience in office management is preferred; an equivalent combination of experience in operations, event planning, admin, &/or staff management may be considered.
· Experience leading or supporting organizational change and a track-record of identifying and implementing process improvements.
· Experience with Hubdoc and QuickBooks and is an asset.
Ø A strong but flexible management style. You are patient, diplomatic, and a confident decision-maker who seeks input and feedback from others.
Ø Forward-looking and efficient, you anticipate and adapt as needs of the role evolve. You notice and capitalize on opportunities as they arise.
Ø You’re focused on teambuilding, employee development, and effective performance management. You lead calmly through disagreements and build consensus.
Ø You adapt your communication style to suit the needs of diverse age groups and cultures.
Ø You learn new software quickly.